Monday, December 14, 2009

Expatriates in the News

Occasionally, I see a story about someone successful who used to reside in the Greater Youngstown region. In Scranton:

As a senior executive for the Boy Scouts, Mr. LaPolla raises money, organizes new troops and packs, recruits volunteers and scouts. He has worked for the local council for six years, and worked for five years before that for Boy Scout councils in Colorado and Ohio.

"This is my last stop. My wife told me she'd divorce me if we had to move," he joked. "This area to me is thriving ... I'm not leaving here, I love it here and I want to make a difference."

A native of the Youngstown, Ohio, area, he and his wife, Jacqueline, moved to Scranton six years ago and are expecting their first child in February.

"I want to get more involved in politics in the state, with what's going on," he said. "Now that I'm established here in this area, and I'm expecting my first child, I want to make sure our state is on stable financial ground for my child and everyone else's child and their future children as well. Right now, I don't think our state's on that right path. I want to get involved and try to do my best to correct that."

Mr. LaPolla would fit our migration model in terms of ending up in another Rust Belt city. He also has made at least two moves since leaving Youngstown, which makes tracking the Diaspora difficult. I'd bet his first move was to another city in Ohio.

I also wonder if his wife is from the Scranton area. Couples starting a family often boomerang back to the expectant mother's hometown to be near her family. In other words, the trailing spouse is usually male. The better policy approach is to network female talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment